Wednesday, March 30, 2011

a blast from the past

This month I celebrated my 50 something-ish birthday. I was thinking about how much things must have changed in all these years. Which got me to wondering. What were things really like back in the year I was born? So I did a little poking around and found out some interesting facts about the year of my birth. 


One thing I love about having a blog it always has me thinking about things to write about and I am constantly learning new things. My Aunt Gen sent me an e-card that had tons of info about the year 1959 and this idea was born! I learned a few things so read on and maybe you will too!

United States Population: 177,829,62
Yearly family salary 6,600.00
Minimum wage in U.S. was $1.00 per hour
Gallon of gas was .25
Dwight D. Eisenhower was President and Richard M. Nixon was Vice President in 1959
Alaska becomes the 49th state
Hawaii becomes the 50th state
Cost of a first class postage stamp was 4 cents

My parents, aunts/uncles and grandparents were probably stuck to the tube watching t.v. shows like:

Rawhide
Hawaiian Eye
Dragnet ends after 8 years 
Bonanza ( in color)
The Twilight Zone
          
In the sports world in 1959
         
Dodgers. vs. Chicago White Sox (4-2)
Baltimore Colts vs. New York Giants. (31-16)
Canadians vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (4-1)
NCAA: California vs. West Virginia (71-70)

My parents went to the movies a lot when they were younger. It was not uncommon to go to the movies and spend the day there. In the year I was born this is what was going on in Hollywood.
And the Academy Award went to:

Best Motion Picture: Ben- Hur
Best Actor: Charlton Heston – Ben- Hur
Best Actress: Simone Singnoret- Suddenly, Last Summer
Best Supporting Actor: Hugh Griffith- Ben- Hur 
Best Supporting Actress :Shelly Winters-The Diary of Anne Frank

Here are some other interesting bits of info that I found.

The Frisbee came to be…
Fidel Castro forced the revolution that brought him into power
Playboy debuts with Marilyn Monroe in the centerfold
The Barbie doll became a girls best friend

So can you tell me; did anything interesting happen on the year you were born?

2 comments:

  1. This is a really fun idea...now I want to go look up facts from my year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how things have changed huh!
    What's the biggest thing that shocked you about your birth year Kara?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, so go ahead and leave a comment. I'll get back with a response as soon as possible.