Saturday, June 4, 2011

need to catch a few zzzzzzz's?

Wouldn't it be great if we could continue to sleep like we did when we were kids?

I read somewhere that as many as 48% of adults suffer from insomnia  here in the U.S.  Therefore it didn't surprise me one bit the other day when I was reading another blog and the author was asking for ideas on how she could kick her insomnia.

I have more than a bit of experience with this topic since I don't think I slept for six months after the accident.Oh I caught an hour here and there but I didn't get any true sleep. Finally my doctor got on my case and forced me reasoned with me to use these techniques to finally get some zzzzzzzz's. I know the name "sleep hygiene" sounds funny rather like dental hygiene.  This works on the same principle, the principle of good habits but in this case you substitute sleep habits. I thought I'd share with my blog readers what I learned from my therapist on how to get a good nights sleep. Actually its a series of steps that you can take in order to sleep well.

 This is what I did.

1) I purchased new linens for the bed, cool and cotton, simple and comfortable
2) I removed all clutter from the room, so there is no distraction if you have a TV then it needs to go as well.
3) I turned my clock around so I wasn't checking the time 100 time a night.
4) I purchased new drapes so the room was nice and dark.
5) Remember the room is for sleeping and sex only all other things should be done elsewhere. (no paperwork, computers, books, electronics, pets or kiddo's sleeping in the bed)
6) No naps during the day.
7) No caffeine after dinner.
8) No exercising after dinner.
9) Go to bed and get up at the same time every day if possible.
10) Turn off all electronics and wind down 20 mins before bed.
11) Snack lightly before bed if you must eat; going to bed hungry will keep you up just as easily as being too full.

Some or all of these tips can be helpful in improving your sleep if you have been having trouble, they worked for me- but there's always room for improvement. I have to be honest, these techniques are preferable to taking pharmaceuticals which can be dangerous and addictive.

Do you have trouble sleeping ? Do you have any tricks to get to sleep or to stay sleeping a night? I'd love if you'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, so go ahead and leave a comment. I'll get back with a response as soon as possible.